Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Spirit is the Answer!!

The following story by Elder Carlos E. Asay, who
was a member of the Seventy, may help you make
application of this principle:
“Some years ago I supervised a young man
who was having difficulty in understanding and
appreciating his church assignment. I tried very
hard to point out the importance of his duties. I also
appealed to his sense of honor. The conversation
seemed to have little effect upon my listener. Finally,
after some inner strugglings, I asked: ‘What will it
take to convince you that you must successfully
complete your calling?’ He did not answer. So I
added: ‘Are you waiting to see a burning bush?
to receive an angelic visitation? or to hear a voice
directly from heaven?’
“His response was immediate: ‘That’s what
I need. I need to hear the voice of God.’
“At first I wondered if the young man was
serious. However, the look on his face and the tone
of his voice convinced me that he was. I then invited
him to read with me this scripture: ‘And I, Jesus
Christ, your Lord and your God, have spoken it.
“‘These words are not of men nor of man, but of
me; wherefore, you shall testify they are of me and
not of man;
“‘For it is my voice which speaketh them unto
you; for they are given by my Spirit unto you, and
by my power you can read them one to another; and
save it were by my power you could not have them;
“‘Wherefore, you can testify that you have heard
my voice, and know my words.’ (D&C 18:33–36.)
“My associate began to understand that the
scriptures are the will, the mind, the word, and the
voice of the Lord. (See D&C 68:4.)
“I encouraged the young man to look to God
through the scriptures. I requested that he regard
his daily study period as a personal interview with
the Lord. And I made the promise that he would
find purpose and enthusiasm for his calling—if he
was faithful in his reading and pondering of the
scriptures” (in Conference Report, Oct. 1978, 78–79;
or Ensign, Nov. 1978, 52–53).

We read the scriptures for answers to our prayers and it is the spirit from the reading itself that helps us find the answers most often. The thoughts, feelings and impressions from what we read is the Spirit helping us to find the answers. I love the idea of having a personal inverview with the Lord through our daily study period!! That phrase struck a cord with me (thoughts, feelings, impressions thing!)We could write volumns from recording our thoughts, feelings and impressions that we have from the experiences we have with reading our scriptures. Life is more meaningful and cherished. I love truth as it edifies and uplifts me like nothing else. Hope you had your own impressions while reading this entry.

No comments: