Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Christmas 2010 @ Erin & John's Home in Cockeysville, Maryland

I am remembering our trip to Erin and John's home in Maryland. The occasion - Christmas 2010! Upon arriving at the airport, Larry and I picked up the rental car and took off in anticipation of seeing Erin, John, Moriah, Jude and Naomi. We missed a turn right out of the shoot which cost us about twenty minutes (cause for anxiety) but we finally turned on to their street about an hour later.

I jumped out of the car and ran up the sidewalk but knew when I had to ring the door bell and wait that this probably wasn't the right house! And sure enough my fears were confirmed so down the street I ran and saw Erin, Moriah, Jude and Naomi waving from their front window. They had seen our car go by very slowly and when it didn't stop they, too, were disappointed because we did not stop and they thought it wasn't us. The rental car wasn't recognizeable to them. Then we all connected with a lot of joyful sounds and hugging.

Erin had prepared a wonderful dinner and many other great meals while we were there. Larry supplied us with Dunkin Donuts and a trip to the BBQ place as well. Great pizza was inhaled at one sitting. One of our new found favorite eating places was the town bakery in Amish land. It took me back to Fredericksburg and Destiny's bakery on main street. We stayed there for a couple of hours just looking around, enjoying the ambiance, and eating!!

Then it was off to the Santa train ride!! Really fun. The train went for about 45 minutes and Moriah and Jude really had a blast. Santa was on the train and left a little toy in their possession. The little train station area was really cute with lots of shops and a couple other rides. On the way home we stopped at Olive Garden and filled up!! We were tired campers by the time we got home. Made for some good z's!!

Larry went into NY to see a client and Erin and I finished some last minute shopping and planning for Christmas. Sunday we visited their ward and watched Moriah sing a primary song!! We were all planning on going into DC on Wednesday but little Naomi got the stomach bug and so did John the night before we were all to go. Erin insisted on Larry and I going so we did and saw some pretty amazing museums and sites on Wednesday but then I began throwing up during the night so our Thursday was spent waiting til I felt like traveling!! It really did a number on me and we weren't able to go back til around 1:00 PM when I regained a little energy. By the end, we had all gotten sick except for Jude and Larry. I was so sad that Erin got it the night before we were leaving.

Christmas was exiting for Moriah, Jude and Naomi. We had it a day early out of fear that someone else would come down with the bug and not feel up to the big day! It was great to be able to watch Moriah, Jude and Naomi come down the stairs to see what Santa had brought! Erin and John were pretty exciting to watch as they loved seeing the kiddoes so anxious and excited. Brought back precious memories of Brant, Ashley, Erin and Ryan doing the very same thing a lifetime ago!!

The most tender and touching time was when John and Larry gave baby Naomi a blessing. Her illness seemed to hang on and she wasn't kicking it as we thought she should. We are so blessed to have the priesthood.

Time flew by as I knew it would. I am sure you all feel like Christmas was a blur and came and went in a flash. Sooo much preparation and then in a twinkling it is over. That is why it is so important to never forget the reason for the season because the Savior lives on and is effectual in our lives daily. To celebrate His birth is a privilege and brings more love into our lives and relationships.

Time to leave was now here and the night before we were leaving we watched a really sad show about a dog and his loyalty to his master and I was pretty melancholy over that and then when I started thinking about leaving I began to cry. Moriah and I were laying on the blow up beg together and she turned to me and said, "Granny, that was a sad show," and I told her I was thinking about leaving in the morning and was really sad. She said, "Granny, don't cry, I am here with you and you don't have to leave now!" My heart breaks everytime I have to say goodbye to any of our precious grandchildren. Each one holds such a soft spot in my heart. Jude and I really bonded this trip and I called him my little buddy. He would come jump in my lap and I would rock him. He got to stay up one night by himself with the grown ups and he was a ball of fire!! That night Erin and I took him with us to Target and the check out lady checked out a car for him and handed it to him and I thought he was going to jump out of his skin, he was so elated and his appreciation and excitement brought a big smile to the check out lady. We wanted to capture that moment. Two days before we left, Naomi felt well enough to come to me. She is a playful little doll. All in all, choices that created the memories!! We had a wonderful time.

2 comments:

Erin said...

I am so glad you posted this! I tried to relay some of these experiences in their journals.
We were quite sad the next day too:( Even John commented on the void. We love you and can't wait til our next reunion :)

Saundra said...

DeeAnn,
I so enjoyed looking at your blog, pictures of your family, and thoughts about grandchildren. The time has flown so quickly. It seems like such a short time ago that we were all living in Harlingen and the kids were young. We really miss you guys and the years we spent in Texas. Saundra Robinson