Saturday, January 3, 2009

Out With The Old & In With The New

Two thousand and eight had its challenges with the financial scene from almost all aspects (housing, markets, etc.) which makes me evermore thankful for the gospel of Jesus Christ in my life. I am always reminded of the thought that it does not matter what happens to us but how we choose to deal with what happens to us. We can find good in everything. If we have to become more conscious of being frugal, it might cause us to dwell on the more important things that cost nothing. I often think that all of the extras cause us to loose sight of the things that bring happiness here and into the eternities. Personally, much more creativity and self worth is produced from being able to provide without being able to buy everything. The days when I sewed for Ashley and Erin made me feel very happy and content with myself. To watch Brant, Ryan, Erin and Ashley play outside in the leaves, etc. in Fredericksburg produced true joy. It seems that the little things like enjoying nature or coloring or pretending painted a beautiful, lasting, picture. A little bit of heaven, if you will!! Our generation has lived in times of plenty and I pray that we have not forgotten how to control ourselves and save for a rainy day.

We were blessed, as a family, to bring in the New Year together. Everyone sacrificed in one way or another to be together and Dad and I enjoyed watching and being a part of the gathering. Sunday was especially spiritual and provides lasting memories that do not fade with the lights. Sela's baptism - what a special event in her life. Poppy conducted. Ashley said the opening prayer. Ryan talked on baptism. The ordinance of baptism was performed by Dad/Zig and provides Sela with entrance into the kingdom of God. Granny talked on the Holy Ghost. Erin directed the music and Aunt Amber played the piano. The most beautiful little song was sang by Nina. Angels were in attendance and I know that because of the tears that are welling up in my eyes as I hear her little voice so clear, humble and pure. All of the cousins sang I Am A Child Of God. Then Aunt Erin closed with prayer. The ending to a very special day which began in sacrament with Larry, Linda and Travis' homecoming talks. Brant and his family were missed as they were battling the flu.

While together, we were able to visit the light festival at Schlitterbahn, see Andra's farm, play tennis and kick ball, feed the squirrels and ducks at the park, and simply enjoy one another's company.

My only regret, which is a big one laying heavy on my heart right now, was the fact that Dad and I had planned nights of gathering at the end of the day in some spiritual environment. I can think of a lot of reasons why it didn't happen but they pale in comparison to the fact that we should have put forth more effort in making it happen.

So here we are in two thousand and nine! How I pray that we will all put Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ first in our lives. We must tithe of our time to the Lord and the other ninety percent of our days will take care of themselves as they should. He asks so little and gives so much. Wo to the slothful servant. Why we choose to dictate days without first turning to Him in adoration and appreciation for all that we are and have remains with the natural man.

May you take time to ponder at the beginning of a new year those things that will bring lasting joy and happiness. Self mastery must be a quality to develop in all of our achievements.

Happy New Year to All!!

Love,

MOM

4 comments:

Erin said...

We had such a wonderful time Mom. Thank you so much. I know you spent many hours preparing and many hours in thought over how to make it all so special for each of us and our children. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Moriah asked where you were today. :( Hopefully, we will see you soon. Til then thank goodness for the ole phone. I love you!

Dee Ann said...

This trip I felt I was able to bond with the grandchildren more. I so enjoyed holding them and listening to them share what was on their minds and in their hearts. We are blessed beyond measure and I thank Heavenly Father from the bottom of my heart every day. Wonderful children, great spouses, and exceptional grandchildren. Is there anything more wonderful and noteworthy?

Amber Marie said...

Yes, the most wonderful family get together! Thank you, thank you. I kept thinking as I watched the cousins play how much they will love talking about these days as they get older. Family relationships can be such a strong foundation and influence- especially when they are strengthened with such sweet memories. I loved my own times with my aunts, uncles and cousins growing up and now Camilla has those fun times too.

Thanks again for such a wonderful, relaxed, beautiful time!!

ashley said...

We also had a great time and all your preparation was very evident. Hopefully next time each of us siblings can help out even more with cooking and planning and such to give you even more bonding and relaxation time with the grandchildren. The kids are already missing you!